So much to say, and hundreds of ways to say it. I must have tackled this post a dozen times, only to leave it unfinished to go and sleep on it, so to speak.
What I’ve decided to do is to make a wrap-up post in two parts, concerning my exchange with the folks at Roll to Disbelieve (which started here and, by way of here, here, here and here, left off here). Throughout the course of the discussion, several people weighed in, many of whom brought up some really good points that I’m anxious to discuss further. Alas, though, my free time to write is sporadic at best these days, and facing an army of opposition single-handedly only compounds and exacerbates this predicament. I hope those who engaged do not begrudge me the delay — after I finish these two posts, my goal is to have responded directly to those comments that I found the most relevant and engaging. Thank you for your patience!
To preface this wrap-up, my nutshell assessment of how the discussion went down is something like this: In essence, the entire discussion comes down to evidence — whether or not the Christian claims have the evidential legs to be taken seriously as a feasible (or even likely) model to explain the reality of our world. This comprised perhaps 3% of the discussion. The other 97% or so was a kitchen sink of statements and accusations concerning topics such as my discussion tactics, my motivation in becoming a Christian, my motivation in sharing my faith, my sub-par mental faculties, my flawed character, my failure to apply the teachings of Jesus in my own life, my vile hatred of those who oppose Christianity and the various ways I have threatened and insulted them, my inability to understand the points being presented to me, my failure at presenting good arguments in favor of my worldview, my poor logic skills, my inability to think for myself, my penchant for parroting other peoples’ opinions without understanding or questioning them, and my general depravity as a human being.
Pretty par for the course, I’d say, when it comes to typical discussions of this nature. (more…)